Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Knife Thrower

I was in a meeting not long ago when my employer told me about a conversation he'd had with a client we service. He said that he told this client to (figuratively speaking) throw as many knives as possible as quickly as possible at me - and that I would be able to catch each one. This had an unexpectedly profound effect on me.

In a more recent meeting, disbelief was expressed when it was discovered that a group of 14 and 15-year-olds did not have a clear orientation or vision as to what they wanted to do with their lives or what they wanted to be when they "grew up."

Stringing together these two seemingly unrelated observations, I have thought both consciously and subconsciously about the direction of my life. Do I really know what I "want to be"? I am heavily engaged in my professional obligations, a host of extracurricular activities, and Church responsibilities. For the most part, I enjoy and feel confident in what I do. Do I know for sure that I will always do what I am currently doing? Do I know exactly where I will be in five years, in ten? I don't think so.

I do know that, sooner than later, I want to become the knife thrower.

I also know that, as I put Ryan to bed tonight, one thing is sure and will always be so. What will define me is my role as a father to my precious son and the new baby, and as a husband companion to my beautiful wife.

And you know what? Really, that's all I need to know.

2 comments:

Cindylou said...

Thank you for reminding us of what is important Jeff. We all need a little reminder now and again!

Hope you guys are all well.

Cindy

Serena said...

The last paragraph, THat is the definition of a true man of god.