Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ

I feel deeply grateful and energized in contemplating the recent General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that took place a week ago. This two-day conference for members of the LDS church throughout the world and all who wish to participate gives a precious opportunity to gather and listen to the teachings and counsel of living prophets and apostles of God.

I am grateful that our Heavenly Father has allowed the fulness of His gospel to be restored to the earth, and that the same organization that existed during Christ's earthly ministry is on the earth today. I am grateful that my family and I don't have to have doubt and fear in darkness, but rather know that men are called and given authority to teach eternal truths that help us understand the quintessential questions of life: Where do I come from?; Why I am here?; and, Where I am going?

In equal measure, I am grateful to have heard the powerful testimonies of the leaders of the Church concerning Jesus Christ, and His role as the Savior and Redeemer of mankind. I am grateful to know and to understand that the two barriers that keep us from returning to the presence of Heavenly Father when this life is through, those of sin and death, are overcome through the atoning sacrifice of Christ and our faithfulness in keeping His commandments and taking upon us His holy name.

I am grateful for the brightness of hope, the catalyst for joy, and the inspiration to move forward in faith that my knowledge and testimony of these truths provides. I am grateful that Father sends the Holy Ghost to reaffirm these truths and to give guidance, peace, and direction and keep me and my family (as we listen and obey) moving in the right direction.

I am grateful for the abundance of evidence of God's love in my life and in the lives of my family and friends. I know that He loves His children, and invites them to approach Him in prayer and share the feelings of their hearts with Him and work out the concerns and hopes and challenges and joys of life with Him. As God's prophet in our day, President Gordon B. Hinckley, has taught, I am grateful for the wonderful and humbling opportunity and invitation to develop a kinship with my Heavenly Father.

I am grateful that the fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is found in the only true and living Church on the earth, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know that God lives. I know that His Son, Jesus Christ, was the only perfect Man to walk the earth and that it is by and through His merits, mercy, and grace that I may be cleansed from sin and be given eternal life with my family. I know that this is real and true through the confirmation received from the Holy Ghost, and I know that every person on this earth can receive this same confirmation.

I am grateful for the Lord's apostles today who have reiterated that members of the LDS Church are Christian in every way. We worship Christ as our Savior and Redeemer and perfect Exemplar. We talk of Him, we worship Him, we emulate Him, we testify of Him, we teach our children of Him, and we know that it is only under His name that we may be saved.

I am grateful for my precious family - my sweetheart, little prince, and the new baby and rejoice in the knowledge that death will not end our relationships, but that through God's Plan of Salvation and the central role of Jesus Christ in that plan, I can enjoy and be in their presence forever.

I am energized to stand taller and to know that I can improve and be a better man, husband, father, son, brother, servant, friend and neighbor because of what I have heard and what I have felt during General Conference. I am grateful that I can read, watch, and listen to the addresses of the men and women who lead the affairs of the Church throughout the world and renew the inspiration and influx of energy to do my part in contributing to the work of the Lord in my home and among those with whom I associate.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Dearest Jeff - I felt the Spirit very strongly while reading your testimony and was even more touched that you could write those words to such a public audience. I too am grateful for all of those things - I am grateful that I belong to the true Church of Jesus Christ and know that my husband has the sacred power of the priesthood to bless our lives. I know that you too are a worthy priesthood holder and that your testimony and diligent and sweet spirit bless the lives of your precious wife and sweet son. Please know that I too have a strong testimony - and that your has strengthened mine today!

Serena said...

Beautiful. Thank you.