Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Times and Seasons

The other day I watched a press conference held at the Pentagon. Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen were bringing the media up to speed on various DoD programs and developments related to the war in Iraq and other operations throughout the world. The camera would pan from the reporters to Gates and Mullen. Whomever was speaking was identified by a title block at the bottom of the screen. I realized as things progressed that I had personally worked with the majority of the press reps in the room - correspondents from NBC, ABC, Fox, CNN as well as the print and radio folks - Associated Press, Defense News, National Public Radio.

Four years ago, I hadn't even the slightest inkling that my profession would involve working heavily with the press. My understanding and respect for the motivations, processes, and roles of both have increased exponentially. A report that takes all of 30 seconds of airtime during the evening news typically involves several months of behind-the-scenes pitching and persistence, planning and persistence, coordination and persistence, patience and persistence, and persistence. Then, overarching this massive effort is the elusive and usually uncontrollable tipping point of "timing," that mysterious trifecta when the public interest and subsequent media focus is actually inclined toward your product and message. When that perfect storm hits, the floodgates open, and it is a great ride.

Through close personal friends and business associates, I have also come to have a much greater appreciation and understanding of the men and women of the military, and the military itself as an organization. The role they play in safeguarding our national security and being a responsible neighbor in the global community is remarkable. No one individual or organization makes perfect decisions, but I know that there are legions of people who care deeply about this country and who are willing to lay everything on the line to support and defend it. I have seen reports from Iraq that stand as poignant, powerful evidence of this. I have spoken to Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Guardsmen and felt their commitment, dedication, and resolve firsthand. I express the utmost respect and admiration for these noble souls and gratitude for their willing sacrifices.

I have a sense that I'll look back on these experiences and the early years of my career and realize better than I now do the substance and significance of the work in which I have been engaged. None of this is intended to be boastful, only reflective of how sometimes the most remarkable events of life come not as the result of specific, conscious planning. Rather, there are times and seasons leading to experiences that are the result of trying to do what is right for the right reasons, and having faith that in seeking to do good, a beautiful life will unfold in a way that works together for your best good.

1 comment:

Serena said...

I am a daughter and sister of military men. It's always nice when others really realize what they do. It's also one of the jobs that is really hard on family life.
Not only do you sacrifice for your country you sacrifice your family. How fun!